Instructions For Volunteers
Volunteers play an important role in creating a successful school. If you would like to volunteer in your child’s classroom or on a variety of school projects, please reach out in advance so we can have a job prepared for you.
A list of ways you can get involved is here!
The information below outlines the expectations and guidelines that volunteers must follow to create a safe and successful experience for students and staff.
- When you arrive, sign in at the front office and get a visitor badge.
TIME AT SCHOOL
- Volunteers will be given an assigned job with instructions. Please focus on that assigned job.
- Please do not bring younger children to the school during your scheduled time. Younger students can be a distraction during classroom time.
- Please turn off cell phones and refrain from using them when with students.
- Please be present during you volunteer time.
- Appropriate attire is expected.
- No food or drink is to be brought into the classrooms.
- Volunteers are discouraged from excessive socializing with other volunteers.
- If you need to use the rest room, please use the staff restrooms.
Volunteers are expected and required to keep all student information that they obtain while working as a volunteer for the school confidential. The Family Education Right and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) prohibits school personnel and volunteers from releasing any student information without parent/guardian permission. Student information includes all academic, medical and personal information. It is very important that volunteers maintain confidentiality at all times. Volunteers should not discuss students or their classroom performance with others - including their parents/guardians. It is the responsibility of the teacher to communicate with the students’ parents/guardians. Do not make references to student’s abilities in front of other students or adults. Direct questions about the student should be referred to the classroom teacher.
Hayward Twin Oaks Montessori School requires background checks for volunteers who are in contact with our students. This includes Room Parents, field trip drivers, and parents helping with school projects. Please complete this form and submit to the office in advance of your volunteering.
SUSPECTED ABUSE AND NEGLECT/BULLYING
If a volunteer suspects that a student may be the victim of abuse, or neglect, it should be reported to the classroom teacher or school administrator immediately. Volunteers are not allowed to share their observations with anyone other than school personnel. If a volunteer observes interactions between students that appear unkind, please direct to the teacher so he/she can address it.
PICTURES AND SOCIAL MEDIA
Please do NOT post any pictures of any children (other than your own) to any social media site. If the teacher asks you to take photos of a classroom event please just email the teacher those photos and have the teacher distribute to the classroom.
Thank you very much for volunteering at Hayward Twin Oaks Montessori School!